Rainwater/Eau de pluie/Agua de Lluvia
Water. We live on a blue planet. Water covers 2/3rds of the world’s surface, 97% is salt water and 3% is fresh, of which 2% is locked in snow and ice making it unavailable for consumption. Statistically on a global scale water is not scarce, however, one of the greatest issues facing our societies in the 21st century is water. The access to clean water for drinking, sanitation, and agriculture is a vital issue today and will become more critical in the years to come.
70% of the world’s available fresh water is used for agriculture, leaving us with the remaining 30% or 0.07% of the world’s total volume of fresh water for drinking and sanitation. Aquifers that the hold much of that available fresh water are draining more quickly than replenishing, and with a rising population the demand on the world’s fresh water resources is growing, not only for food production, but as a daily essential for healthy living. It is estimated that 1.8 billion people will live in marginal and arid land where water is scarce by 2025. It’s imperative that we change the way we collect, store and distribute fresh water.
Rainwater, as a source, is the purest form of fresh water. When rainwater hits the ground, on a large percentage of the earth’s surface, it becomes runoff, largely becoming wastewater with its original purity tarnished with both organic and inorganic pollutants. Rainwater collection, its preservation and management are a critical part of the equation in maintaining the basic human right of access to clean water.
Rainwater/Eau de pluie/Agua de Lluvia project and its corresponding this site the Thethirstyplanet.com is a collaboration between the International Rainwater Harvesting Alliance’s (IRHA) “The Best Photographs on the Advantages of the use of Rainwater - Grand Award of Geneva 2011” and Photojournale to highlight the value of the rainwater, a precious fresh water resource; its physical properties, and its essential, ceremonial and human uses, its collection and management, and its contribution to achieve the basic human right, offering access to water for all.